In its February 2016 meeting, the Faculty Advisory Board (FAB) of the Center for Judaic, Holocaust, and Peace Studies (JHP) voted to introduce affiliate faculty status for all ASU faculty members who work with the Center.
Faculty who wish to become members of the JHP faculty are requested to acquaint themselves with the work of the Center (http://holocaust.appstate.edu) and send an
- up-to-date copy of their curriculum vitae that focuses on any research, programming, and service that relates to Judaic, Holocaust, and Peace Studies
- a cover letter that explains how the faculty member's work supports the mission of the Center (https://holocaust.appstate.edu/about/mission-objectives). In addition to references to past and present research, programming, and service, it may also include future plans and projects.
The applying faculty member can make the case for affiliate faculty status by meeting any one of the following criteria:
- organization of and/or involvement in seminars, institutes, and/or workshops at the local, state, regional, national or international level designed to promote Judaic, Holocaust, Genocide and/or Peace Studies (including, for example, the co-organizing of academic programs that focus on JHP at ASU, participating in the Holocaust Educational Foundation's annual Summer Institute on the Holocaust and Jewish Civilization or in Yad Vashem's International Summer Seminar on "Teaching the Shoah and Antisemitism")
- a graduate degree or significant graduate coursework in Judaic, Holocaust, Genocide and/or Peace Studies or a related field
- research, performances, exhibitions, and/or publications in Judaic, Holocaust, Genocide and/or Peace Studiesinvolvement in disciplinary-specific and/or interdisciplinary Judaic, Holocaust, Genocide and/or Peace Studies professional organizations at the local, state, regional, national or international level such as the Association for Jewish Studies, the International Association of Genocide Scholars or the NC Council on the Holocaust
Applications are accepted on a year-round basis. The Faculty Advisory Board (FAB) reviews all completed applications in a timely manner and decides on the granting of affiliate faculty status (a minimum of five FAB members, including the Center director, must vote; a simple majority is sufficient).
In order to maintain active JHP faculty status, faculty members should send an up-to-date CV and cover letter addressing the above points every four years.
Please submit applications for appointment and renewal to Thomas Pegelow Kaplan, Director of the Center for Judaic, Holocaust and Peace Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.